Planning or Permitted Development?!


When it comes to this subject of planning it can be a bit of a head scratcher, we would like to attempt to add a little clarity to this murky lake of confusion.


So you would like a Garden building but you are unsure as to whether you will need planning permission or not. Well you’ll be glad to hear that most of our buildings can be built under permitted development rights.  The exceptions come when you are looking to build above the 2.5 metre high restriction in a designated area and these items cause confusion!


Our buildings that exceed  2.5 metre are usually pitched roof Garden Lodges, this includes both dual and mono pitched designs. These buildings are ideal for use as gyms or artist studios as they have ample head room and allow in plenty of natural light. Now, they can be built under permitted development rights if they meet the following requirements: Their eaves height (eaves height: where the lowest part of the roof meets the outside wall) are under 2.5 metres and a dual pitch is no more than 4 metres and a mono pitched 3 metres, however here is the important detail! These buildings must be located 2 or more metres away from any boundary, if they are located within the 2 metres they will need planning approval. 


If the garden room lies within 2 metres of the boundary, the whole building should not exceed 2.5 metres in height.


The area of the proposed garden building and any other existing buildings within the garden (other than the original house) must not exceed 50% of the total area of the garden (excluding the footprint of the original house). This is typically called ‘curtilage’. In other words, only 50% of your garden can be given to additional buildings (including sheds, extensions and decking over 300mm in height).


The new garden studio or office cannot be a dwelling or be used  as self-contained living accommodation. It cannot be a residential space used for sleeping.


Flats and maisonettes do not have permitted development rights.


Planning would also be required if you live in a listed building, or in a designated area, i.e AONB, conservation area, etc. by doing a quick google of “do i live in a designated area” you should be able to confirm whether or not your property is in a designated area.


There are great resources that you can use to decipher whether or not you will need planning, the planning portal website provides a myriad of information that will aid your research. Click on the link here to go to the planning portals interactive page about Permitted Development. We also have a useful FAQ on our website relating to planning permission and permitted development, which you can find here.