Garden Room Planning Permission FAQ

Click on the questions below to find out more about Planning Permission…

Planning aims to guide the way our countryside, towns and cities are developed. The maximum heights that you can build a Garden Lodge, Garden Office or Garden Studio without planning permission have been outlined to protect the welfare of neighbours from overshadowing and loss of light etc.

  • How the proposed buildings will be used
  • The design and appearance of the buildings
  • Proposals for landscaping
  • Access for vehicles, roads and pedestrians
  • Any potential environmental impact

For more information please visit

No. Provided your garden lodge meets certain limits and conditions, no permission will be needed as garden rooms are considered a ‘permitted’ development. The only exception to this is if you live in a listed building or in a designated area.
A permitted development is a building that does not require planning permission, but must adhere to the permitted development regulations. Most garden lodges and garden studios will be permitted.

To find out more on permitted development rights, please visit the Planning Portal click here.

The area of the proposed garden lodge and any other existing buildings within the garden (other than the original house) must not exceed 50% of the total area of the garden (excluding the ground of the original dwelling house). This is typically called ‘curtilage’. In other words, only 50% of your garden can be given to additional buildings (including sheds and extensions).

The new garden studio or office cannot be a dwelling or self-contained living accommodation. It cannot be a residential space used for sleeping.

It must be single storey. If the garden lodge is more than 2 metres from the boundary, the maximum eaves height is 2.5 metres, with a maximum overall height of 4 metres with a dual pitch roof, or 3 metres with a monopitch roof.

If the garden room is within 2 metres of the boundary, the whole building should not exceed 2.5 metres in height.

Flats and maisonettes do not have permitted development rights.

More detailed advice can be provided for your specific circumstances, or you can contact your local planning officer who will give you advice.

Decisions about planning are taken by the Local Planning Authority within your council. Your area will have an allocated planning officer and you should contact them to seek advice in the first instance.

If you do need to submit for planning permission for your garden lodge, you can obtain a planning pack from your local authority, or you can make an application online through the Planning Portal website. Alternatively we can assist and take care of the whole process on your behalf.

Building Regulations are standards set by government to ensure buildings and structures are safe and fit for purpose, are structurally sound and energy efficient.

These are generally monitored by the local authority building control department.

Building Regulations will NOT apply to your garden room if:

The internal area is less than 15m2
It is a single storey building less than 30m2 AND is not within 1 metre of the boundary

Building Regulations DO apply if:

The garden studio is self-contained or living accommodation
You require a toilet, shower or basin
The building is 30m2 or over

If building regulations apply, we can arrange this for you here at Garden Lodges.

Alternatively you can arrange with your Local Authority or a Private Approved Inspector for the building to be approved.

The house as it was first built, or as it stood on 1st July 1948.
This is an area which has been recognised for its quality, and policies have been put in place to protect it. Examples include National Parks, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONBs), conservation areas and World Heritage sites. If you live in one of these areas, it is very likely that you will already know.
Yes, you CAN have garden studios, garden offices or garden rooms, but you will require planning permission.

Yes, you CAN have garden studios, garden offices or garden rooms, but you will require planning permission.